Saturday, December 24, 2011

Favorite Christmas Memory

Christmas is my FAVORTIE holiday!
                     I love EVERYTHING about it!
      Today has been such a fabulous day but there was one major highlight.
I slept at my sisters last night so I woke up and saw her little boys open an early christmas present.
So cute.                        So fun.
                                                    After that, I came home, got ready, and went to breakfast with the fam.
We have a tradition where every year we all go to breakfast at Mimi's Cafe and wear something crazy.
                              Last year was ugly sweaters.
             This is was festive hats.
It was so much fun and definitely one of my favorite parts of christmas!
                   After breakfast I ran to the doctor and then headed to the hospital for a little service activity
Some of my cousins and my sister and her husband went to Costco and bought a bunch of food to take to people who are sitting in the waiting rooms at the hospital.
        My sister had a girl in her ward tell her about this and said it was the best thing she had ever done so we decided to give it a try.
                                            Honestly the best thing I have EVER done.
                        We went to the U of U hospital and headed up to the ICU.
There was a room full of people who were tired, hungry, and so sad.
         It absolutely broke  my heart to see everyone there.
They stared at us as we walked in each carrying a load of food.
                                                                 They all looked so confused.
                  And some of them even looked a little annoyed or upset.
     They didn't get it.
                                               My cousin told them that we were all very sorry for their circumstances but that we wanted to bring them some food and sing them a christmas song or two.
                                                                   A lady looked up with tears in her eyes and said, "seriously?"
             And I was expected to sing at this moment? Yea. Right.
                   Anyone who knows me and my family, you know that we are all VERY emotional people.
No one could sing.
       We all just stood there, crying. Smiling. It was the best feeling.
    They were all so happy.
We left and went to a second waiting room.
                          There were two families there. And they too were so confused when we walked in.
    They asked us who sent us and where we came from.
                                             They had both just recieved the news that the people they were there for hadrecieved lungs for a lung transplant so they were all so happy. So grateful.
             It was so exciting. They had been waiting for so long and we, in a way, got to celebrate that miracle with them.
                                              We stopped at one more waiting room.
So sad.
     It was a burn unit.
Enough said.
                                            There was one family there.
They were all so sad. and looked SO exhausted.
As we walked into the waiting room and set everything down on the tables, a lady walked in and said. "Sorry we will move our stuff out of your way so you guys have room too."
                    It was so sad.
     We explained to her what we were doing and her daughter walked in and they just sobbed.
The feeling there was unlike any other.
So sad, but yet so happy.
      I have never done something so rewarding in my life.
I could've done it all day.
                                    It was by far my favorite Christmas memory.
                      These people are going through some very hard times. I can't even imagine how are feeling, but yet they are so grateful for everything they have.
                      I want to be just like them. All of them.
                                                                                                         This opened my eyes so much.
                                                 I learned so much from this experience.
It's about serving.Letting someone know you care.Being gratefulBeing humble.Cherishing every moment.   Realizing how much you have.Smiling.Looking out for others.Feeling.Listening.Understanding.Its about giving.
It's Christmas.
If you are wanting to start a new tradition for you and your fam, I would highly recommend it.
                    The night ended with a birthday dinner for the sis at Asian Star, gingerbread house contest, and opening new pajamas. :)
                                                          Now time to get a little shut eye so Santa can come!
                           I love this time of year.
Merry Christmas!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment