Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Life is so fragile.


I was trying to find a day that would match this post and the one that was closest is day 25, The person I know that is going through the worst times.
I work for my Dad at Sharp's Tarps doing secretary work. The other day, a customer came in to get his tarp repaired and he wanted it done within a pretty short amount of time. Sometimes I find myself getting a little annoyed with people like this because I feel like they aren't always very understanding as far as priority goes, I feel like they get a little demading,  and i feel like they don't understand that they aren't the only customer that we do work for. I soon realized that it was me who didn't understand priority and that there was a lot more to this situation than I could've imagined. 
 My Dad was working with him and being very patient and told him that we would do our best to get it done as soon as possible. Still having a little bit of a negative attitude towards him, I got his information and he asked me where the nearest store was. He explained to me that wasn't from here, he was actually here from Idaho because his wife was at the Huntsman Cancer Institute going through treatment. Yikes. My heart dropped. I. felt. terrible. Here i was being so selfish and negative towards this man not even realizing what he was going through. My attitude changed immeditately. I let him know how sorry I was for him and his family and he was on his way.
This man came into work today to pick up his tarp repair. My Dad came up front and asked him how things are going. He looked up, red eyes, and said, "Not good. Not good at all. Cancer is a nasty thing. Now i'm just trying to figure out how I am going to tell my family." I broke. I couldn't imagine how he was feeling. He explained that he just had a son return from a mission, a daughter that is married, and a few other children. He told us that they were going to have one more meeting with the Huntsman Center on Friday morning to see if there was ANYTHING else they could do. He sounded so desperate, so sad, so hurt, but he was so grateful. You could tell that he was so proud of her and so honored to be her husband. You could tell that he has faith that he will be able to return to live with her again some day. You could tell that this guy was one very strong guy.
As I watched him drive away I felt so sad for him, my heart ached for him. I wished that there was something I could do to help this man even just a little bit but i realized that this man had helped me so much. He helped me realize the importance of not being so quick to judge, how truely fragile life is,  the importatnce of family and making sure your family knows how much you love and care about them, the importatnce of cherishing small moments and taking everything you can get, the importance of staying strong and having faith even through the hardest times, and he helped me realize how truely grateful I am to have to gospel in my life.
I honestly don't know where I would be without the gospel in my life. I feel so blessed to be a member of the church and to know that I can live with my family  forever. There are so many opportunities each day to do good. There are people all around us who are being tried and tested and it is important that we do all we can to help people in need.
I hope you all are having a great Tuesday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment